Erving, the last town in Franklin County to be incorporated, is comprised of three villages: Erving Center, Farley, and Ervingside. It is situated along MA Route 2/The Mohawk Trail. The Millers River, a tributary to the Connecticut River, flows through town.
The French King Bridge connects Erving to the town of Gill, across the Connecticut River. Built in 1932, the bridge was named “The Most Beautiful Steel Bridge” by the American Institute of Steel Construction. The bridge is a popular tourist spot because besides its own beauty, it offers scenic views of the river and the foliage in autumn.
In the Industrial Era, Erving’s large supply of timber and waterpower led to the production of many wood and wood-based products. Today, the Erving Paper Mill still exists, and employs over 100 people.