Originally part of Charlemont, Heath was incorporated in 1785. The Heath Historical Society, located in the center of town, has displays representing Heath’s past, including palm-leaf hats. From the 1830s to the Civil War, women and children in Heath braided these palm-leaf hats and sold them for extra income in the winter months. The town had some farming and other small industry in the nineteenth century, but much of it is gone now, leaving the town as a rural area.
Heath is located in the northwestern part of Franklin County, south of the Vermont border. The major through road is MA Route 8A, which connects to VT Route 8A at the state border and intersects MA Route 2 in Charlemont.