Rowe is a small, remote town along the northern border of Franklin County, just south of the Vermont line. Originally the site of fishing and foraging for local Native American tribes, Rowe was later settled and finally incorporated in 1785. The mills on the Deerfield River led to industry growth in the town, in sulfur, talc, and soapstone mining. In the 20th century, Rowe became the site of the first nuclear power plant in New England, Yankee Rowe Nuclear Power Station. Today, the plant is decommissioned but the Bear Swamp pumped storage generating station, built in 1974, is still in operation.